Sebastien Ogier will join the Volkswagen in order to honor the memory of Colin McRae.
13 world Champions, including Ogier will participate in exhibition competition Rallylegend, which in 2017 will be dedicated to the legendary Macro, who died in September 2007.
The races will be held October 19-22 in San Marino, and one of the protagonists of the competition will be former co-driver of Carlos Sainz Sr. Luis Moya. In San Marino Ogier will sit behind the wheel of last year’s Polo R.
Recall that Volkswagen, which Sebastian has won four world titles, announced his retirement from the WRC at the end of 2016.
“I called Malcolm [Wilson, the boss of M-Sport] and asked whether SEB pilot Polo [Rallylegend], despite the fact that he now stands on Ford Fiesta – Moya said in an interview AUTOSPORT.com. Malcolm did not hesitate, replied: “No problem, Louis.”
Similar response I received from Sven [Smeets, Director of Volkswagen Motorsport] when asked whether it was possible to borrow them from Polo.
When we organize such an event in memory of Colin, a problem should arise. With each phone call I was convinced that people still remember Colin”.
Moya added: “I met with the organizers, they told me about their plans, and I wanted to help.
I started to call everyone, because Colin McRae was a good rally pilot. It was a unique racer. As soon as people heard his name, he won their hearts.
I started to call people and nobody refused. It is a pity that the race can’t come Carlos Sainz. He’s upset, because just this weekend his son [the pilot Toro Rosso Carlos Sainz Jr. will be in Texas. He can’t miss this family event.
If not for the United States Grand Prix, Carlos, too, would come”.
Want to get the most current news website on your mobile device? Subscribe to our channel in the Telegram!